One thing I used to really love was wraps and tacos, I’d literally eat them all the time add some cheese on top and life would be perfect for me, but since I have transitioned to a more plant based lifestyle it has been hard for me to find the perfect veggie wrap in any restaurants so as usual I came up with my own version of a plant based Taco. I made the roti from scratch because I like it soft and thick but if not you can just buy yours straight from the shop, it will actually save you more time.
For the Roti:
- Take 2 cups of all purpose flour and mix with 1 cup of wheat bran, if you have whole wheat flour you can use that instead.
- Add a pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/2 a cup of water and mix until it forms a dough.
- Knead the dough for about 5 mins before letting it rest for 30 mins.
- Cut the dough into pieces and form a ball using your palm, using your rolling pin roll it into a flat circle.
- Place them on a hot skillet and remove from heat once browned.
For the filling: If you’re vegeterian you can use mushroom, beans or soya chunks, in this recipe I used soya chunks.
- Soak your chunks for about 15 mins before you cook them.
- Take your chunks and fry them at medium heat until browned.
- Add your onions and desired spices, I added garlic, curry powder, basil and cumin, also added some lemon juice and soy sauce for that extra flavour.
- Add your tomato and allow to simmer until all the liquid has dissappeared and its ready to serve.
For the Taco:
- Now that you have all your ingredients set, you take your soft roti and put in as much filling as you want, careful not to put too much because otherwise it wont wrap nicely.
- Add your salad, I simply made a pepper and onion salsa with a citrus vinaigrette.
- To finish off I garnished my taco with some fresh parsely.
I’m sure you’re wondering what’s so healthy about this Taco, its that its high in fiber, adding the wheat bran or whole wheat flour adds more fibr to the roti which aides the digestion process, also replacing meat as a filling also has health benefits because you’ll be cutting a lot of bad cholesterol from your food.
Thank you once again for visiting the site, if you end up making this taco using our recipe be sure to tag us on socials @denisek_lifestyle or if you have any of your own recipes share with me by leaving a comment here or on social, until next time xx.