As a food enthusiast, I always like to try out new recipes, especially those that are healthy and packed with flavour. One of my go-to recipes for a meatless Monday is vegetarian enchiladas. They are easy to make, flavourful, and packed with nutrients. In this article, I will share with you this delicious vegetarian recipe, you’re not going to miss the meat at all.
Introduction to Vegetarian Enchiladas
Enchiladas are a traditional Mexican dish that is made by filling tortillas with various ingredients and then rolling them up. The tortillas are then covered with a spicy sauce and baked until golden brown. Vegetarian enchiladas are a meatless version of this dish, which uses a variety of vegetables, legumes, and cheese as the filling.
Vegetarian enchiladas are a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables and protein without sacrificing flavor. They are also a great option for those who are trying to reduce their meat consumption or follow a plant-based diet. With a little creativity, you can make vegetarian enchiladas that are just as flavorful and satisfying as their meat counterparts.
Why Vegetarian? – Benefits of a Plant-Based Diet
There are many reasons why people choose to adopt a vegetarian or plant-based diet. One of the primary reasons is for health benefits. Studies have shown that a plant-based diet can lower the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers. Plant-based diets are also rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, which are essential for overall health and wellbeing. From personal experience a vegetarian diet has been helpful in balancing my hormones, I had issues with cysts and excess estrogen but eating a diet rich in legumes and vegetables has helped me relieve symptoms that come with those issues. After seeing the benefits I experienced I had a deep burden to share my findings with other women because these issues are prevalent in our community and I hope someone will benefit from these recipes.
Ingredients for Vegetarian Enchiladas and Their Health Benefits
To make vegetarian enchiladas, you will need the following ingredients:
- Tortillas – whole wheat or corn tortillas are a healthier option than white flour tortillas
- Legumes – black beans, chickpeas, or lentils are excellent sources of protein and fiber, in this particular recipe we are making use. of black beans but any typeof legume works.
- Cheese – this ingredient is optional.
- Enchilada sauce – we are making our own sauce with tomato, onion, garlic and basil.
Each of these ingredients has its own health benefits. Vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals, legumes are a great source of protein and fiber, and cheese is a good source of calcium.
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Vegetarian Enchiladas
Now that you have all of your ingredients, it’s time to start making your vegetarian enchiladas. Follow these simple steps:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add your onion and tomato mix and sauté until cooked, add garlic and basil and simmer for 10mins.
- Add your cooked legumes to the skillet and stir to combine and put them aside.
- Warm your tortillas in the microwave or on a skillet to make them more pliable.
- Spoon the legume mixture onto each tortilla and roll it up tightly.
- Place the rolled tortillas in a baking dish and cover with enchilada sauce.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the enchiladas.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the enchiladas are golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy.
The Nutritional Benefits of Legumes
Legumes are a staple in vegetarian diets as they are a great source of protein, fiber, and nutrients. They are also low in fat and calories, making them an excellent addition to any healthy diet. Some of the health benefits of legumes include:
- Lowering cholesterol levels
- Regulating blood sugar levels
- Promoting digestive health
- Boosting energy levels
Including legumes such as black beans, chickpeas, and lentils in your vegetarian enchiladas is a great way to boost their nutritional value and m
Tips for Spicing Up Your Meatless Monday Meals
If you’re looking to add some variety to your meatless Monday meals, try these tips:
- Experiment with different vegetables and legumes to keep things interesting
- Use spices and herbs to add flavour to your dishes
- Try different cuisines such as Indian or Thai for inspiration
- Make your own sauces and dressings using fresh ingredients
- Get creative with your plating to make your meals look more appetising
By incorporating these tips into your cooking routine, you can make your meatless Monday meals more exciting and flavourful.
If you’re looking for video breakdown of how I made this, click here.