It’s become such a norm these days to to feel like we are all stuck in this never ending cycle list of To do’s. But managing our time well is not about squeezing more into our day it’s about simplifying the way we work and working more effectively. Today I want to share with you some of the tips and tricks my team and I use to make better use of our time.
- Brain Dump– its a system of simply taking all the thoughts running around in your head and to record them in one place. This method has helped me organize my thoughts, reduce overwhelm, be more productive and less forgetful and I guarantee you will experience the same benefits too. So to free your mind of all distractions do a brain dump and as often as you need to, just pouring out all your thoughts and to do’s on a piece of paper or on the note section of your phone, getting it out of your head and placing it somewhere visible frees up mental space so you can better concentrate on the task at hand.
- The Rule of 3– Its a concept that was introduced by the author Jadie Myer, first write down 3 things you want to accomplish this month, write 3 things you can do weekly to achieve these monthly goals and break them down into 3 daily activities that you can do to accomplish those overall goals. This simple rule helps to provide structure and helps with working more efficiently.
- Actionable to do’s– When writing a list of to do’s I find that making them actionable is really beneficial, for example instead of just writing the word car, you would then write wash the car, adding that verb car makes it easier for our minds to visualize us actually washing the car which increases the chance of us actually doing it. And if its study or work try breaking it into smaller tasks to make it more manageable, what is it you want to study, what pages and what topic.
- Learn more– One of the reasons why I decided to write this post is because I have just finished reading the book Habits of Effective People and I was inspired to be more productive and effective. I do believe reading more books can help you learn new ways to manage your time and become better at our jobs or businesses, however reading books may be tedious and may take a lot of time as well but I have found that reading books on my commute to work saves me a lot of time, so if you use public transport its a good time to get some reading done, however if you drive home you may opt to trade one or two nights of TV to reading a book. I get my books from Pirate bay and I read them using an app called EPUB it makes it easier to read books on mobile devices.
- Rationing Distractions– Spending time on social media is my biggest downfall when it comes to time management and productivity, but instead of trying to fight the urge to check my phone, I welcome it but only for 5 minutes, I set a timer on my phone and once that 5 minutes is up I am back to work. I also use an app called Flipd that helps me block social media and notifications for a certain time and this ensures I get time to focus on the task at hand.
If you have any tips or tricks of your own I welcome you to share your hacks in the comment section. Thank you for visiting our blog, hope you find these tips helpful.